Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (512) 494-3129
Background and Education
Mike was born in Dallas, Texas. He holds degrees from Abilene Christian University (B.B.A., 1982) and the University of Texas School of Law (J.D., December 1987). He has been licensed as a certified public accountant since 1985 and licensed to practice law in Texas since 1988. He joined the firm upon graduation from law school and became a shareholder in 1993.
Areas of Practice
Mike is an insurance regulatory and corporate lawyer who represents insurance companies writing all lines of life, accident and health, and property and casualty insurance. Mike serves as legal counsel to the Texas Medical Association Insurance Trust, the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association and the Texas FAIR Plan Association. He also advises the board of the Texas Lawyers’ Insurance Exchange. Mike’s clients include insurance agents and agencies, third party administrators, sellers of preneed funeral contracts, premium finance companies, trade associations and other business entities that purchase and sell insurance. His areas of representation include general business and regulatory matters, contracts, mergers, acquisitions, reinsurance agreements, licensing filing, and governance matters.
- Engaged to represent foreign insurance holding company in the negotiation and purchase of a Texas domestic personal lines insurer, the related Form A approval process and the formation and licensing of an MGA to manage the new business.
- Represented purchaser in the acquisition of a Texas domestic homeowners insurer and affiliated managing agency including related Form A and agency change of control filings and approvals.
- Represented alien pension fund purchaser in the Form A approval of its acquisition of a Texas life insurer.
- Monitor and advise clients regarding pending legislation and assist with drafting proposed legislation.
- Attend and advise clients at regularly scheduled quarterly board meetings.
- Routine Form B, C and affiliated transaction Form D filings.
- Dissolution of captive life insurer.
- Advised client regarding disposition of group annuity proceeds.
- Represented Purchaser in Form A approval of acquisition of a group of insurers with multi-line commercial and residential programs and with multiple-state domiciled insurer subsidiaries.
- Assisted with client’s $400,000,000 catastrophe bond placement.
- Participated in property/casualty client’s long range planning board meeting and retreat.
- Advised agency client on establishment of a private health insurance exchange.
- Advised client in establishment of internal audit function.
- Reinsurance and dissolution of closely held life insurance company.
- Assisted client with transactional and regulatory aspects of issuance of $500,000,000 in public securities through Texas Public Finance Authority.
- Helped startup online personal lines insurance agency with regulatory compliance issues.
- Negotiated recapture of life business for ceding company client from distressed reinsurer under control of regulator.
- Represented Purchaser in Form A approval of acquisition of a life insurer that involved redomestication issues.
- Reinsurance and dissolution of captive workers’ compensation insurer.
- Represented health insurer client in employee disciplinary matter involving Texas Board of Nursing.
- Obtained approval to release reserves associated with mortgage guaranty reinsurance transactions.
- Orientation presentation to client’s board regarding fiduciary duties of directors and regulatory law.
- Worked with tax counsel and accountants to assist insurer client with refund claims from state Comptroller and IRS.
- Managed litigation and settlement of disability claim disputes and related E&O insurance claims.
- Filings with Insurance Department recording changes of control of agencies and administrators.
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Licensed CPA